Friday 4 May 2012

#240: Service Call


I am sure I have mentioned that it used to drive me crazy when, at work, an older person would offer to wait while I attended to someone else’s needs.  The older library patron would offer the explanation: “Take your time.  I’m retired and I don’t mind waiting”.

I usually took them up on their offer, but what I wanted to say was “No way.  Your time valuable, too!” 

But now that I am getting the hang of being retired, I see their point – to a certain degree.  Between the two of us, my husband and I do have more discretionary time, so if a service person needs to drop by to sort out our water softener (last week) trouble shoot our super-slow internet service (this week) or consult about TV aerials (today), we can arrange to be available.  We don’t have to leave the key under the mat, book off work, or arrange for an evening or Saturday service call. 

But we still have to find something to do at home “between 1:00 and 6:00” while we are waiting.  (Those service people seem to give themselves a lot of latitude, regardless of the day).

And take it from me.  Retired on or not, killing time for 5 hours is a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment