Wednesday 30 November 2011

#135: He and She, Retiree

I was in the Bookmobile yesterday collecting material for my nursing home readers when I happened upon the perfect book for me:  How to Love Your Retirement.  There was a lengthy chapter on "Living With Your Retired Partner", and I skimmed through it.

Wow.  So many retired couples say they get on one another's nerves. And the men are, reportedly, the worst; they have a tendency to hang out in the kitchen and offer commentary.  The poor guys clearly have nothing better to do.  One woman unhappily reported that her husband had even alphabetized her spice drawer.

Huh?  What's the problem?  Put those fellows to work if they are so interested.  Men can iron, bake and wash up -- and do a darn good job.

My husband is welcome to pitch in (and he does).  Have a blast, I say, but don't worry about the spice drawer.  Allspice, Basil, Cumin -- it's all done.  I'm not a librarian for nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I'm the one who would like to organize the spice cupboard! ...And paradoxically, I'm the one who usually is being shooed from the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete